Things have slowed down recently here. Sister Rigby and I are taking a turn this week in the clothing issue (la roperia). This is a new experience for us. Sister Rigby is so efficient at doing it that I sort of sit back and enjoy the rest. She sizes up the patron and pulls the needed clothing from the rack and gives it to them quickly so that they can catch the next session. After our first week in clothing issue she has mastered the whole process. I would be hard pressed to function alone if she were given a new assignment in the temple. She however, does very well without my help as I am called frequently to assist in the baptistry or in other areas of the temple during our shift. Often a line forms at the counter which adds some pressure for her to meet the needs of the patrons and get them on their way to a session that is about to start. When I return she is checking out and getting ready to close it up.
It's tough to get old! About a week ago I bruised my left heel and it is taking it's time in getting back to normal. My wife purchased a heel pad for my shoe that really works in taking pressure off that nerve when I stand on it. Still it hasn't completely healed yet. I have to be careful. Just a few days ago I got up out of a chair and strained a muscle in my back. Now I have two medical problems to contend with. Having medical issues is not an uncommon thing here. All of us are old and each of us has one or more age-related problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis etc. The trick is to keep moving. One couple returned home recently because of a back condition. Another has a rare bacterial infection that will require three months to overcome. Such is life.
Since Thanksgiving is not celebrated here, we reported to duty as any other day on Thursday. Not to completely forget this special day, however, we have planned a Thanksgiving dinner with all of the temple missionaries this weekend. Sunday is a day of census in ecuador. By law, no one is to leave their residence that day until 5PM. Young people have been hired by the government to interview people with a very detailed questionaire. Since we cannot go to church in our regular chapel, the plan is to have a service here in the alojamiento and a Thanksgiving meal after the census interviews. Sister Rigby is cooking the big bird.
Finally, it has not escaped our notice that many of you are experiencing (or have experienced) very cold weather. The computer has a current temperature listed for Bountiful (16 degrees). Be careful on the roads. My brother in Salt Lake turned his computer camera toward his back yard to show me the snow. A temple worker asked me the other day if it was really hot in our country now. I chuckled at that. Most of these people have never experienced cold weather. They have only seen pictures of snow and have only felt ice from refrigeration machines. One sister told me she would like to walk in the snow and feel it just to experience it. For our part, we are happy to be here, but we miss our good friends and family members. Our mission will be over in the early spring. Maybe we will still see snow this winter. But, maybe with a little luck we won't see it.
Friday, November 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment